Frequently Asked Questions: We answer all your questions about immigrating to Canada

Need Help?

Usually not. You should stop working once you have received your final grades. You may continue working after finishing your studies only if you have already applied for a work permit, or are starting a new study program.

Yes. You can leave Canada and come back as long as your visitor visa or Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) is still valid. If your visitor visa or eTA has expired, you must apply for and receive a new one before leaving.

There is only one exception to this. You may be able to re-enter Canada with an expired visitor visa (not an expired eTA) if you only visit the United States or St. Pierre and Miquelon and return to Canada before your study permit expires.

Yes. However, your study permit is not a travel document. It does not give you the right to travel to or enter Canada. Along with your permit, you may need: a visitor visa (temporary resident visa) or an electronic travel authorization (eTA). Depending on where you are from, you may only need your passport. Make sure you know what document you need to travel and enter Canada.

Yes, you can stay in Canada as a temporary resident until IRCC makes a decision on your new permit application. You must ensure that you have applied for a new permit before your original permit expires. If you applied to extend your study permit, you can remain in Canada and continue studying under the conditions of your original study permit.